Sunday 4 February 2024

I read The Embodiment by Bora Chung

It's a short-story from Bora Chung's book called 'Cursed Bunny', translated by Anton Hur.

The plot, basically a woman has been mysteriously pregnant for 6 months, and needs to find a father for her unfertilised child before it's too late. It's a surreal body horror story.

I really liked this story. Not that it made me happy or that I enjoyed my experience reading it, but I found it very interesting and intriguing. It's definitely a good body horror, in my opinion, which left me feeling grim, disgusted, and horrified. 

Usually, I can't take it when it comes to horror relating to pregnancy, giving birth, or pain in the groin. Often, it makes me feel a little sick, which did nearly happen in my reading experience, but this story was just too compelling.

I cared about the protagonist. I knew things weren't going to end well for her. The way that Bora Chung and Anton Hur described how she felt was so immersive, it was almost as if I could feel her pain and general experiences in life, too (it helps that I also share her anatomy). This went even to the point where I was skipping some lines and even considered dropping the short-story because it was nearly too much for me to handle!

Overall, good read. If you want a good "mundane" body-horror with a very intimate point of view from a female protagonist, The Embodiment is a great recommend from me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment